Meridian police chief resigns

News Briefs From Across The State

By Monica Land

Chief cites personal reasons

Meridian Police Chief James Reed has resigned after it was revealed he is not a certified law enforcement officer in Mississippi.

Reed made a brief statement Monday saying he’s stepping down for personal reasons. Mayor Cheri Barry also spoke briefly, but neither accepted questions at the news conference that was called by the mayor.

Barry later issued a written statement in which she thanked Reed for his service to Meridian.

Barry says Assistant Chief James Sharpe will be acting chief of police.

Reed became chief on Aug. 8, 2012. Reed replaced former Chief Lee Shelbourn, who retired at the end of June 2012.

Barry acknowledged this past week that Reed had not yet taken the courses required by the state to be a certified law officer.

Jackson County sets open house for new shelter

The Jackson County Board of Supervisors will hold an open house on Feb. 7 at the new Vancleave hurricane shelter.

Supervisor John McKay tells the Mississippi Press that the open house marks the completion of three identical shelters that have been under simultaneous construction by the county since 2011.

Each of the shelters is 10,000 square feet and will be able to withstand 200 mph winds. They have self-supporting utilities and will be able to house hundreds of people.

Each shelter cost $3 million dollars with a vast majority of the funding coming from the state and federal emergency management agencies.

The other shelters are in Hurley and the St. Martin.

1 killed in car accident on Highway 78

Authorities are investigation an accident on U.S. Highway 78 near Fulton that claimed the life of the driver.

The Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal reports the accident occurred Monday.

Police say the vehicle left the road, rolled over and struck a tree on the driver’s  side.

The driver’s name has not been released.

Phelps charged in 2012 wreck

An Anguilla man indicted for DUI resulting in death in a 2012 fatal wreck has surrendered to the Washington County Sheriff’s Department.

Henry Vick Phelps IV, 24, was indicted in November in the death of Candace Marie Page, who died in Greenville on the night she was celebrating her 27th birthday.

The Delta Democrat Times reports that Phelps turned himself in Friday. He is being held without bond pending an initial court appearance.

Greenville Assistant Deputy Chief Billy Barber says the accident occurred shortly after 2 a.m. on Feb. 26, 2012, after Phelps and Page left a lounge. Page died and Phelps was injured.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.