Mary McIntyre of the Alabama Department of Public Health said in a statement Thursday that staphylococcus aureus was found in samples taken from Sunnyside Child Care Center’s two locations.
Staphylococcus aureus is known for causing food poisoning, skin infections and other medical issues. Children were admitted to local hospitals with vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, cramps and other symptoms.
McIntyre says food samples tested negative for Norovirus and are being evaluated for other pathogens. McIntyre says public health officials are working with the day care’s kitchen staff on food handling guidelines.
Officials say more than 300 children attend the two day care centers where the food was being served.