News Briefs From Across The State
By Monica Land
Employee allegedly took $200,000
Police said a former employee of an automobile dealership has been arrested on an embezzlement charge alleging she stole more than $200,000 within about 1 1/2 years.
The Sun Herald reports that police investigated the complaint about a month before they arrested Teresa Holland Stanley on Friday, according to Detective Lt. Terry Hines said.
Stanley, 36, of D’Iberville, had been the office manager for Bayside Chrysler Jeep Dodge since 2006.
Hines said the business fired her after noticing money was missing, and filed a complaint with police Aug. 15.
If convicted, Stanley faces a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison and a $10,000 fine. Under state law, judges can also order Stanley pay restitution.
New schools chief sought in Greenwood
The Greenwood School Board has hired the Mississippi School Board Association to help it find a new superintendent.
The school board will reportedly pay MSBA $9,500 for its help with the search.
Board president Harold Fisher says applicants will be sought from inside and outside Mississippi.
The school board is looking for a successor to Margie Pulley who announced Aug. 28 that she was retiring after more than 38 years with the district. Her last day was Aug. 31.
Jennifer Wilson, who had been an assistant superintendent, is the interim superintendent.
New garbage pickup service starts in Lincoln Co.
A new garbage pickup service begins in Brookhaven and Lincoln County, but residents can expect to see little change in operations.
Brookhaven aldermen and Lincoln County supervisors last week finalized contracts with Waste Pro. The two entities had been with Waste Management.
Garbage pickup will continue to be twice-weekly in the city and once a week in county.
Waste Pro’s Preston Phillips says pickup days will remain the same, but he requested that residents have their garbage out for collection by 7 a.m. on their designated days.
He says Brookhaven customers will be getting 96-gallon garbage bins delivered on or around Oct. 15. Lincoln County customers will not be getting the new bins.
Also in the city, residents will be getting 18-gallon bins for recycling.
Natchez applies for EPA grant
The city of Natchez is applying for $400,000 grant it was previously denied from the Environmental Protection Agency that will fund a study to identify and possibly clean up any environmental contamination at industrial sites.
The Natchez Democrat reports Jay Estes of Eco-Systems Inc. reported to the Natchez Board of Aldermen last week that the grant application was nearly complete and ready to be sent.
Estes says the city applied for the grant last fiscal year and narrowly missed being rewarded it. He says the city now has the benefit including suggested improvements from DEQ to the application.
The grant requires no matching funds from the city.
Estes said the city can expect to hear whether it will receive the grant in May 2013.
Be the first to comment