A Byte Out of History: Murder and the Dixie Mafia

The city of Biloxi was shocked by the murders of Judge Vincent Sherry and his wife, Margaret on Sept. 14, 1987 and the implication of the Dixie Mafia's involvement.

Special to The Mississippi Link

Judge Vincent Sherry (l) and his wife, Margaret (r) were gunned down in their home in Sept. 1987. Margaret, a councilwoman, had planned to expose individuals involved in corruption in the city of Biloxi the next day.

This month marks the 25th anniversary of the murder of Judge Vincent Sherry and his wife, Margaret, whose deaths at the hands of the so-called Dixie Mafia exposed the lawlessness and corruption that had overtaken Mississippi’s Gulf Coast in the 1980s.

“It was out of control,” said retired Special Agent Keith Bell, referring to the level of corruption in Biloxi and Harrison County – so much so that in 1983 federal authorities would designate the entire Harrison County Sheriff’s Office as a criminal enterprise. Special Agent Royce Hignight initiated the investigation of the sheriff and was soon joined by Bell.

“They were doing anything and everything illegal down here,” said Bell, who grew up on the Gulf Coast. “For money, the sheriff and officers loyal to him would release prisoners from the county jail, safeguard drug shipments, and hide fugitives. Anything you can think of, they were involved in.”

Bell is quick to point out that there were plenty of honest officers on the force, and some would later help the FBI put an end to the culture of corruption in Biloxi. But for a long time, Sheriff Leroy Hobbs and his Dixie Mafia associates held sway.

The Dixie Mafia had no ties to La Cosa Nostra. They were a loose confederation of thugs and crooks who conducted their criminal activity in the Southeastern United States. When word got out that Biloxi – with its history of strip clubs and illicit gambling – was a safe haven, the criminals settled in.

Pete Halat

At the same time, members of the organization incarcerated at the Louisiana State Penitentiary at Angola were running a “lonely hearts” extortion scam with associates on the street. The scam (see sidebar) targeted homosexuals and brought in hundreds of thousands of dollars – money they entrusted to their lawyer, Pete Halat.

But Halat, who would later become mayor of Biloxi, spent the money. When it came time to hand it over to the crooks, he said the cash had been taken by his former law partner, Vincent Sherry. So the mob ordered a hit on Sherry, a sitting state circuit judge who had no direct ties to the criminals.

On September 14, 1987, Sherry and his wife were murdered in their home.

“Gulf Coast residents were shocked by the murders,” Bell said.

The disgraced former Harrison County sheriff, Leroy Hobbs (pictured), died in 2008 at his home in Biloxi.

Local authorities worked the case unsuccessfully for two years. The FBI opened an investigation in 1989, and Bell was assisted in the investigation by Capt. Randy Cook of the revamped sheriff’s office – Leroy Hobbs was convicted of racketeering in 1984 and sentenced to 20 years in prison.

The federal investigation into the Sherry murders lasted eight years. In the final trial in 1997, Pete Halat was sentenced to 18 years in prison. Kirksey McCord Nix – the Dixie Mafia kingpin at Angola who ordered the hits – as well as the hit man who killed the Sherrys each received life sentences.

As a result of the cases, Bell said, “Gulf Coast citizens started demanding more professional law enforcement and better government.” Bell – who wanted to be an FBI agent since he first watched The FBI television series as a child – added, “It meant a lot to me to return to my home and do something about the corruption that had worked its way into government and law enforcement there.” He added, “The majority of citizens realized that if the FBI had not stepped in, the lawlessness and corruption would likely have continued unabated.”

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.