2-year-old dies from injuries in ATV wreck

News Briefs From Across The State

By Monica Land

4 children were riding one 4-wheeler when it was hit by a truck

A 2-year-old boy has died after suffering injuries in an all-terrain vehicle accident over the weekend in Brewer, WTVA reported.

Lee County Coroner Carolyn Green said William Em passed away Wednesday at Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital in Memphis from multiple trauma.

Em was one of four children hurt in the Saturday evening accident on Laney Road in Lee County.

Sheriff Jim Johnson said the children, ranging in age from 2 to 13, were riding on a four-wheeler when it apparently pulled out in front of a truck.

As of Monday, one child had been released from the hospital while three others, including the 2-year-old boy, were being treated at Le Bonheur.

Ashley Furniture warehouse catches fire

A warehouse at Ashley Furniture in Ecru was evacuated early Wednesday morning after a fire broke out. Authorities in Pontotoc county said firefighters responded to the call around 1:30 a.m.

It took crews from Ecru, Hurricane and Pontotoc about an hour to contain the blaze.

No injuries were reported.

The fire is under investigation by the Pontotoc County Sheriff’s Department and the state fire marshal.

Plane crashes in Tishomingo County

Authorities said a small personal plane made a crash landing in northeast Tishomingo County, but both occupants were able to walk to a nearby home.

Mississippi Highway Patrol spokesman Casey Mayo said the plane went down Tuesday, April 10, behind a house off Mississippi Highway 25. He said the two people in the plane walked to the house for help. Paramedics were on the scene.

Mayo did not have other details.

5 new cars bought for Leland police

The Leland Police Department has received five new Dodge Charger police cruisers. The Delta Democrat Times reports that the department hasn’t received new vehicles since 2004.

Police officer P.J. Lamberson says the new cruisers will replace the 8-year-old Dodge Intrepids in the fleet.

Lamberson says replacing the aging vehicles was among improvements planned by the late Police Chief Oscar McAdory, whose funeral was this past weekend.

Lamberson says the new vehicles were needed because of the constant breakdowns of the older cars and the expansion of the police force.

Man identified in night club shooting

Jackson police are investigating the report of shots fired early Sunday morning, April 8, at a night club familiar to law enforcement. Officers responded to the scene at the Night Life Club, formerly known as the Upper Level. It is located on west Northside Drive.

Police spokeswoman Colendula Green told WLBT that a security guard shot Tyrone Gardner, 27, in the right arm. Gardner was initially listed in stable condition at University Medical Center.

Green said surveillance video may help in the investigation.

Officers were dispatched to the location around 2:25 a.m. where shots were allegedly fired at a vehicle. Green said the shooting was also connected to another shots-fired call in the 4300 block of Lynda Street. Sources told WLBT that a fight had started on Lynda Street. One person reportedly involved in the fight opened fire.

The male victim retreated to his car, a navy blue Oldsmobile 98. A bullet hit the car, and the victim was reportedly struck in the arm. He was taken to the hospital by private vehicle.

2 arrested for digging into Indian mounds

The Monroe County Sheriff’s Department said two men were arrested as suspects in an ongoing investigation for violating what is known as the Antiquities Act.

Forty-one-year-old Jerome Daniel Young of Nettleton and 36-year-old Marty Dean Kennedy of Wren are accused of digging into an Indian mound located next to the Canal Section Wildlife Management area near the Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway in late March.

Sheriff Cecil Cantrell and his men recovered five artifacts on March 17 after the two had allegedly sold them to a man in Nettleton.

Cantrell says the investigation is ongoing with federal authorities now involved. He says the artifacts were sold for $1,300 and then sold again for a profit.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.